22.12.16

Homemade Vanilla Extract


Being home for the holidays really is the sweetest. I've been home in Texas since Saturday and have been savoring the time spent doing the little things-- running holiday errands with my mom, toasting to weddings, moves, +  exciting life events with the family, cuddling our sweet pup, grabbing a meal with friends, and dreaming about one day having a ginormous #granitecounterkitchen like my parents have here. The idea to make this homemade vanilla extract surfaced after my mom, who was organizing a cabinet, offered me her extra olive oil dispensers. I had heard that homemade vanilla extract is super easy to make and so much better than anything you can find at the store, so I decided to try it out with these dispensers. I'd also recently seen a video that showed how to make simple jar labels, so I decided to give that a shot too (which ended up being the perfect touch for this homemade vanilla extract). If you have 5 minutes to spare and are in need of a simple, thoughtful housewarming gift, give this a shot (and consider adding a red bow/ribbon)!


Ingredients:
-1 cup of vodka (any kind, I used Titos since that's what I had on hand)
-3 vanilla beans
-1 dispenser of your choice (small mason jars are great or an empty spice container that has been washed)
*FOR THE LABEL: white paper, printer, clear packing tape, water

Directions:
1. Slice the vanilla beans down the center, leaving them attached at the very top (wishbone shape)
2. Put the vanilla beans in the dispenser and pour in 1 cup of vodka.
3. Keep in an airtight container and shake for 30 seconds once a week for 6 weeks-- then enjoy!

For the label, check on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1auqNJTUlsg

*ONE NOTE: I would strongly recommend using a laser printer rather than an ink printer if you have one available. This will make the label transfer onto the tape much bolder. I used an ink printer and had to do some touch ups with a black sharpee :)

Enjoy!

LD






No comments

Post a Comment