28.1.18

SIMPLE INGREDIENT CLEANING + PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS


Hi friends! It has been far too long since my last post, (an entire year?!) but I am back online to share with you some of my favorite simple, clean ingredient products for cleaning and personal care. One of my new years resolutions this year was to switch over as many products as I could to natural, non-toxic alternatives that were both still effective and wouldn't break the bank. I started the process last year, but I still had several items that needed to be converted over. I've made some good headway, and I'm excited to quickly talk about each of these products and hear feedback on successful products you have found too!


1.HAIR/FACE/BODY WASH


This category of products was the first that I switched over, and I did this about 6 months ago. I starting using the Honest Shampoo + Body Wash (sweet orange vanilla scent), and I love it. The main reason I chose this product is because it does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), which is an ingredient that makes soap have its "lather", but it has been linked to skin irritation, cancer, and other toxic effects. Overall, the list of ingredients is very natural and non-toxic. Even better, I found a 2 pack of a 17oz bottle at Costco for $12. Normally, the 10oz product is $7 if you do the honest company monthly bundle (any 5 products for $7), or $10 at Target. I also use the Honest Company Conditioner, which you can find through the Honest Company website or at Target.

Another body wash I found that was free of parabens/SLS is Burt's Bees Peppermint and Rosemary Body Wash. It smells amazing, and has a good ingredient list. It is around $7 at Target.

Instead of using shaving gel/cream, I use coconut oil, which is an effective natural replacement. I bought the organic cold pressed and unrefined coconut oil from Trader Joe's, but I think any pure coconut oil will do the trick. Coconut oil comes in a solid form and it turns to liquid with heat, so if you store it in your shower it will turn to liquid and be easily usable. A 16oz jar is $5.99 at Trader Joe's.

For Face Wash, I just started using the Trader Joe's Spa Face Wash with Tea Tree Oil. It has a clean ingredient list, and it has Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) as one of its top ingredients, which has antimicrobial properties and is a natural way to help skin stay clear. It is around $6. I also use a drop of Doterra's Melaleuca oil on my face at night.

2. MOISTURIZER


For daily moisturizer, The Honest Company makes a fragrance free Face + Body Lotion that does the trick and is non greasy. I also use their Organic Healing Balm during the winter if the regular lotion isn't enough (be warned, this one does have a greasy feel, but it works wonders!) Each are $7 with the Honest Company bundle (5 items for $7 each).

3. DEODORANT


One of the main ingredients in non-natural deodorant is aluminum, which has been linked in several recent studies to cause changes in the estrogen receptors and potentially cause cancer. There are tons of natural deodorants on the market (with very mixed reviews), but a friend recommended one from Schmidt's Naturals that works just as well as the aluminum alternative. I use the Charcoal + Magnesium deodorant, and would highly recommend. It is $10 on Amazon.

4. TOOTHPASTE


Doterra makes a natural whitening toothpaste as part of their OnGuard line, which is an oil blend that promotes immune support. This is SLS and fluoride free. However, it does have a cinnamon taste (which I like, but not everyone is a cinnamon fan), so if you prefer a minty option Schmidt's Naturals and Tom's both make a natural toothpaste option (though I haven't tried).

5. CLEANING PRODUCTS/LAUNDRY


For an everyday surface cleaner, I use the Honest Multi-Surface Grapefruit Grove Spray, which is SLS/Ammonia/Bleach free. It is a plant-based cleaner, and I've found it to be very effective (and it doesn't have a harsh chemical smell).

I also love the Honest Company Laundry Detergent. I buy the unscented version and add about 8 drops of Doterra Lavender oil to the full bottle. It very effectively cleans our clothes, and it is only $7 if you are subscribed to the Honest Company bundle (5 items for $7 each). Instead of using dryer sheets, I switched to using wool balls and adding a few drops of lavender oil to each. Wool balls are super effective in removing static and helping clothes dry faster in the dryer, and you can using them for months without replacing. You can get a 6 pack of them on Amazon for about $10.

Lastly, Therapy makes a stainless steel cleaner + polish that is natural and the most effective stainless steel cleaner I've ever used! One of my biggest pet peeves is to have fingerprint marks/water marks on our appliances, and this spray is made up of plant-based ingredients and does wonders. My husband found it on Amazon as a Black Friday Lightning Deal, but it is now $15 for a 16oz bottle with microfiber cloth.

It can be overwhelming to start the process of switching to non-toxic products, but it is a worthwhile investment. Hopefully these reviews will help you if you are looking to switch any/all of your products to a more natural option. See links below to the products!

All Honest Company Products: https://www.honest.com/


Trader Joe's Face Wash with Tea Tree Oil/Trader Joe's Coconut Oil: cannot buy online



Doterra Essential Oil Products: https://www.doterra.com/US/en



LB

No comments

Post a Comment