28.8.16

END OF SUMMER SALAD + DARK CHOCOLATE QUINOA BOWL


Am I the only one wondering how it is already the end of August?! The only good news about this is six days until TCU football starts + six days until I head to San Diego for my best friend Michelle's bachelorette party. I am beyond excited for both! Since cooler weather is unfortunately just around the corner, I thought I would take the opportunity to make some of my favorite summer dishes before it's too late. I looove to have something cool and refreshing during these warmer months, and this easy-to-make lunch keeps me full and craving free. Check out the recipes for this end of summer salad and guilt-free dark chocolate quinoa.

END OF SUMMER SALAD:

Ingredients: 
-1 large bushel of red tip lettuce ($.91 at ShopRite)
-2 roma tomatoes: ($.29 each at Trader Joes, so $.58)
-1/2 of a 12 oz bag of organic broccoli slaw ($1.99 at Trader Joe's, so $1 for 1/2 the bag)
-1 16oz tub of hummus ($3.49 at Trader Joe's)
-1/4 of a 16oz bag of raw shelled pumpkin seeds ($6.49 at Trader Joe's for full bag, so $1.62 for 1/4 the bag)
-2 packages of Applegate sliced smoked turkey (organic): ($4.49 each at Trader Joe's, so $8.98), save an additional $.75 with coupon here
-Your favorite seasoning (I like the everyday seasoning from Trader Joe's)

Directions:
-Wash and tear lettuce into small pieces
-Chop tomato
-Combine lettuce, chopped tomato, broccoli slaw, raw shelled pumpkin seeds into a bowl
-Add 2 slices of rolled turkey and 1 dollop of hummus
-Season the salad with favorite seasoning

This comes out to $16.58 for five days worth of ingredients, so $3.31 per salad. I love that this salad has 3 protein sources (turkey, pumpkin seeds, and hummus) and has four veggies (lettuce, tomato, broccoli, and carrots (in the broccoli slaw). In my opinion, this salad does not need dressing because the hummus adds moisture. However, if you find the salad too dry, I suggest a table spoon of olive oil or juice from half of a lemon.

In addition to the salad, I made a side of dark chocolate quinoa to satisfy that after lunch sweet craving! Check it out:

DARK CHOCOLATE QUINOA BOWL:

Ingredients: 
-1 cup of Trader Joe's tri-colored organic quinoa ($6 for whole bag, only 1/3 of bag needed for recipe, so $2)
-2 cups of unsweetened Silk Almond Milk ($3.29 for half gallon, $.82 for 2 cups)
-1 Tbs honey (under $1)
-1 Tsp vanilla extract (under $1)
-1 lb of strawberries ($2.99 at Trader Joe's), or your favorite fruit to enjoy with chocolate
-2 Tbs of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder (under $1)
*optional: dark chocolate chips for added sweetness

Directions:
-Cook quinoa with almond milk (for directions on how to cook quinoa, click here, but substitute almond milk for water) 
-Combine cooked quinoa, vanilla extract, honey, and cocoa powder in bowl
-Slice strawberries and add to top (and dark chocolate chips if you want the added sweetness)
-Cool in refrigerator 

This comes out to about $7.31 for five servings, so $1.46 per serving. Quinoa is a staple in my diet. It is a complete protein, meaning it has all 9 essential amino acids, is gluten-free, has tons of vitamins, and easily takes on the flavor of anything it is combined with. This is the first sweet version of quinoa I have done, and I love that it is a "dessert" option that leaves me feeling full, includes a serving of fruit, and isn't loaded with calories (only 20 calories for the two scoops of cocoa powder!) 

Enjoy!

LD

No comments

Post a Comment