7.9.16

JALAPEñO CHICKEN SALAD


Happy September, friends! I just got back from the sweetest San Diego weekend celebrating my bestie and bride-to-be (acai bowls, lattes, and artisan pizza taste better when you're in Cali and it's 75 and sunny, am I right?!) The trip was amazing, however going straight to work from a Monday night red eye led to me wanting to make the simplest recipe possible when I got back to my studio Tuesday night. In case I have yet to mention, I loveee flavor + spicy food. This recipe for Jalapeño Chicken Salad not only has a ton of flavor, it keeps me full by incorporating two protein sources and includes a rainbow of veggies!

Ingredients:
-1 large red pepper: $.99
-1 large green pepper: $.89
-1 large orange pepper: $1.19
-1 jalapeño: $.10
-16 oz of plain (NOT VANILLA) greek yogurt --my favorite is organic Stonyfield plain greek yogurt: about $4
-2 lbs of Trader Joe's All Natural Thin Cut Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless, no antibiotics, no hormones): about $13
-2 1/2 tbs lime chili powder (add more for additional spice) 
-1 tbs cumin (add more for additional spice)
-1/2 cup of water

This comes out to about $20.17, so about $4 per serving. 

Directions:
1. Put chicken, water, and 1/2 tbs of lime chili powder in crock pot on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours)
2. Chop red pepper, green pepper, orange pepper, and jalapeño into small pieces (remove jalapeño seeds for less heat)
3. When chicken is done cooking, shred into thin pieces
4. Combine shredded chicken, greek yogurt, chopped veggies, lime chili powder, and cumin in bowl and stir thoroughly

This zesty chicken salad can be enjoyed by itself or in a corn tortilla. I typically eat it on its own and add a side of Trader Joe's Quinoa and Black Bean Infused Tortilla chips (AMAZING, and only $2.99).

Not a fan of spicy food but want to give guilt-free chicken salad a shot? Try combining plain, shredded chicken with plain greek yogurt, sliced grapes, sliced celery, walnuts, and fresh black pepper!

Enjoy!

LD

No comments

Post a Comment